There’s a simple threshold for my favorite albums of the year: did I spend any time obsessing over the album (i.e. repeated listens, telling anyone who would listen that this album is great, etc.)? These are the albums that met that threshold and I made note of.
Three albums stood out more than the rest to me: White Lighter, Tender Madness, and The Bones of What You Believe. Those were my favorites (in that particular order). I think I wrote about a quarter songs of White Lighter individually (including the time I hiked several miles up to a reservoir listening to it), Tender Madness houses 2 of my favorite tracks of the year, and CHVRCHES might be the one with the most tracks I listen to on a regular basis.
Links are to iTunes. Photo credit to Jon Bilous. Enjoy and happy new year.
- Atlas Genius – When It Was Now
- CHVRCHES – The Bones of What You Believe
- Daughter – If You Leave
- Futurecop! – Hopes, Dreams & Alienation
- Local Natives – Hummingbird
- Night Beds – Country Sleep
- Night Panther – Night Panther
- PAPA – Tender Madness
- Small Houses – Exactly Where You Wanted To Be
- St. Lucia – When the Night
- The National – Trouble Will Find Me
- Typhoon – White Lighter
- Widower – Fool Moon
- Wild Party – Phantom Pop
- Wyatt Overman – Two Winters