I think you can group my favorite songs of 2013 into two groups: those for being in your mid-twenties and those for trying to forget you’re that age.
Some general notes: the list is compiled over the course of the year where I literally write down songs that impress me. I peek at lists of a few people I respect but I try to avoid groupthink. The list this year is dominated by indie pop and electropop. There is a smattering of folk, rock, and mainstream country.
I don’t think there were any major shifts this year in music. Pop was dominated by men for the first time in awhile (until the late part of the year). The cult of personality surrounding Beyonce is still strong. Digital is still growing, physical is dying as we’ve known it. The vinyl revival is strengthening. Perhaps the Mumford and Sons/Lumineers influence is waning. I might expand on some of this when I visit my favorite albums of 2013.
With all that said, if I have to pick out a personal favorite out of all the songs that I heard this year, I would pick PAPA’s If You’re My Girl, Then I’m Your Man. There’s Springsteen in there and I’ll make no secret that I love Springsteen.
The list is in alphabetical order. I’ve bolded the songs that are the favorites of the favorites for me. Most of the songs are in the Soundcloud player below (there are exceptions and I recommend that you check the songs not available via Soundcloud out as well). Enjoy.
- Aloe Blacc – The Man
- Banks – Before I Ever Met You
- Blood Cultures – Indian Summer
- Callahan – Obliv.
- CHVRCHES – Tether
- Dierks Bentley – I Hold On
- ECSTASY – Exhale
- Eli Young Band – Drunk Last Night
- Empire of the Sun – Concert Pitch
- Florida Georgia Line – Get Your Shine On
- FMLYBND – Electricity
- Fryars – On Your Own
- Great Good Fine OK – You’re the One For Me
- Les Enfants – Celeste
- Little May – Hide
- Local Natives – Mt. Washington
- Lorde – Tennis Court
- Magic Man – Texas
- Mikky Ekko – Disappear
- Nathaniel Rateliff – Still Trying
- Night Beds – Head For The Hills
- PAPA – If You’re My Girl, Then I’m Your Man
- PAPA – Young Rut
- Phosphorescent – Song For Zula
- Sacco – Carnival Ghost
- Scotty McCreery – See You Tonight
- Step Rockets – Kisser
- The Colourist – Little Games (St. Lucia Remix)
- The Fine Machines – Alton Levy
- The Local Strangers – Uptown
- The Royal Concept – World on Fire
- The Youth and Young – Blanket
- Tyler Lyle – Ithaca
- Typhoon – Prosthetic Love
- Volcano Choir – Byegone